Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
D. Hiden Ramsey Library, University of North Carolina at Asheville
The CrAFTy Crew is Available for Chat, Email, and Phone Assistance
Monday - Friday • 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
We are not available to answer questions in person.
Thank you for supporting our efforts to keep our UNC Asheville community safe!
Chat with the CrAFTy Crew
CrAFT Studio Fall 2021
COVID-19 Operations Updates
The COVID-19 pandemic necessitated some changes to our services and the studio to keep us all safe wherever we are, including conducting all of our help either via email, chat, or by phone rather than in person.
We are still offering many of our services and have new ways to connect with our CrAFTy Crew! Important things to note:
• NEW FOR FALL 2021: NEW PAPER! You asked and we listened; the studio now stocks a variety of sheet media in letter (8.5" x 11"), ledger/tabloid (11" x 17"), tabloid extended/ARCH B (12" x 18"), and Super B/A3 (13" x 19"). Finishes and pricing is on our Large Format Printing page.
• The studio is currently CLOSED to walk-in visits. Our space is small and in order to comply with social distancing standards and to keep our campus community as safe as possible, we've temporarily suspended walk-in traffic to the CrAFT Studio until we can resume safely. We are available via email, chat, and phone during our normal operating hours!
• Some services and spaces are temporarily unavailable. For campus community safety, we have temporarily suspended use of specific spaces and services. In the studio, we have temporarily suspended usage of our iPads, Apple Pencils, LEGO wall, sewing machine, and borrowing our art supplies.
• Lots of our services are still available! You can still utilize our large format printing, 3D printing, desktop cutting, small format laminating, heat press, and button making services! The Audio Booth and TV Studio are available for use; visit the Media Design Lab page for more information.
• Processing times are longer for safety. Please allow for three (3) days minimum processing time for large format prints (without a rush fee), standard filament 3D prints (specialty filament takes an additional day), desktop cutting, laminating, and button making.
• Why we ask for this time? We endeavor to complete jobs faster, but the CrAFT Studio has a number of services we have to balance! We also take pride in quality control; when you submit a job, the staff of the CrAFT Studio take the time to run all designs through a thorough quality check, including aspects such as image quality, spelling and/or syntax issues, printability, and formatting issues.
• What happens next? After that process and the item is paid for or arrangements are made to charge a department, we make sure that your item is successfully printed/cut/laminated/created, and that can sometimes take multiple attempts. (Rest assured we only charge for successful items!) In addition, items such as 3D prints, laminated items, and buttons are wiped down with a isopropyl alcohol based solution and quarantined for at least one (1) day before pickup for additional safety.
• Rush times for large format prints are extended, too. Priority (+$5 per submission) is now guaranteed second day printing and express (+$10 per submission) is now guaranteed next day printing. We cannot guarantee same day prints at this time.
• What if I really need a same day print? You are welcome to contact us via chat or via email to see if we can on a case-by-case basis! If we can accommodate the request, the $10 express printing up charge will apply.
• Contactless Pick Up and Drop Off! We are offering contactless pick up and drop off services with an easy-to-use calendar system! This insures we keep an eye out for your items and have someone on hand to accept them at a distance.
• How do I request this? One of the CrAFTy Crew will be in touch with a link to our contactless calendar either after your item is finished (pick up) or you approve of the cost estimate for specialty supplies (drop off). You will make a reservation for a 15 minute window where you either pick up your completed item or drop off specialty supplies like items to be laminated, pre-approved vinyl you provide for the desktop cutter, items to be heat pressed, or button inserts.
• Need help? We're still here! Just because you can't pop in our physical space doesn't mean you can't still get help! We are available to answer questions via email, chat, or phone.
• When can I get help? We will answer questions during our normal operating hours, which are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm, excluding university holidays.
• What can I get help with? You can ask questions about pricing, formatting, crafting in general...you name it, we can find the answer for you!
• How do I connect to chat? Most of our landing pages have an embedded chat box (like the one to the left), and there is a separate Chat tab located above. Make sure you're connecting on our website; the chat box on the regular library landing pages will connect you to the general library chat.