Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
D. Hiden Ramsey Library, University of North Carolina at Asheville
To find books at UNC Asheville, Appalachian State University or Western Carolina University, start with our catalog.
Choose "Request Item" to have books from ASU or WCU delivered to UNC Asheville via ABC Express.
To find books beyond our library network, try WorldCat.
Materials not held within our network can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Searching the Library Catalog by Subject
It's usually best to start with a keyword search, but subject headings applied to relevant books can help to refine your results. Open the item record of a book that interests you. Scroll down to the clickable subject headings, and run another search to explore similar books.
You can also browse the headings associated with a particular topic as a way of getting started with your research.
Browsing by Call Number
Most books in the Political Science field fall within the J call number range located on Ramsey Library's Upper Level:
- J1 - Political Science (General legislative and executive papers)
- JA1 - Political Science (Collections and general works)
- JC11 - Political theory. Theory of the state
- JF20 - Constitutional history and administration (General and Comparative)
- JK1 - Constitutional history and administration (United States)
- JL1 - Constitutional history and administration (Canada and Latin America)
- JN1 - Constitutional history and administration (Europe)
- JQ1 - Constitutional history and administration (Asia, Africa, Australia, Oceania)
- JS3 - Local government
- JV1 - Colonies and colonization. Emigration and immigration
- JX1 - International law. International relations
- JZ2 - International relations
Other relevant areas include:
- K1 - Law (General)
- KD1 - Law of the United Kingdom and Ireland
- KE1 - Law of Canada
- KF1 - Law of the United States (Federal law)
- KFA1 - Law of the individual states (Alabama through New York)
- KFN7400 - Law of North Carolina
- KFN8600 - Law of individual states (North Dakota through Wyoming)
- KG1 - Law of Latin America
- KH1 - Law of South America
- KJ1 - Law of Europe
- KL1 - Law of Asia
- KZ1 - Law of nations
- HA1 - Statistics
- HB1 - Economics
- HC10 - Economic history and conditions by region or country
- HD28 - Economic history and conditions (General)
- HJ9 - Public finance
Series titles in PS
Monographic Series offer a more detailed list of books in our General Collection. Often the individual titles under the main series title are catalogued with separate Library of Congress call numbers. Check out: