Welcome to Ramsey Library on the campus of UNC Asheville. Built in 1965 with a major addition in 1990 that nearly doubled its size, Ramsey Library was built in honor of D. Hiden Ramsey, a newspaper editor, city and state official in Asheville, N.C. Today, the library holds approximately 360,000 volumes with access to more than 400,000 titles electronically.
Ramsey Library is committed to supporting a liberal arts education through access to the resources to discover, learn, research, and teach regardless of time or place. And through library services, we assist in the development of critical thinking and life skills that are part of the UNC Asheville mission. There are many challenges to information access in the digital age, but we are here to facilitate access to knowledge by anticipating needs, responding quickly as new needs emerge, and maintaining our commitment to preservation of the materials that make UNCA and its surroundings unique.
Ramsey Library is not just a place to borrow books, but a place of discovery, collaboration, contemplation, and service. At the heart of the UNC Asheville campus, we look forward to serving you.
Feedback from our users is always appreciated. For questions, concerns, or suggestions, visit our Ask a Librarian page.
Ramsey Library supports the learning, research and community missions of the University of North Carolina Asheville by providing information in formats from traditional to cutting-edge technology; offering group instruction and individual consultation in locating and using resources; and exhibiting leadership for the academic community in the means of accessing and best utilizing information. The library advances the intellectual climate of the campus by promoting independent and collaborative avenues of inquiry, cultural enrichment, thought, reflection, and understanding.
1. We have lots of resources and most are online -- articles, books and streaming media all licensed for use by students, faculty & staff.
2. If we don’t have a book or article that you need, we can usually get it within a few days and often overnight.
4. Laptops, cameras, calculators, & presentation & recording equipment are all available for checkout.
5. You can get research help in person or online from librarians who specialize in your subject of interest. No question too small, no project too large!
6. You can even access library resources even when the library is closed.
7. You have access to a full Video Production Studio as well as audio, image and video editing help. Come to the CrAFT Studio for 3D and large format printing and other maker tools for your digital scholarship!
9. Our Special Collections & University Archives is a treasure trove of archival photos, documents and objects for your historical research.
10. With free Friends of the Library benefits for alums, we’re here for you, even after you graduate!