Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
D. Hiden Ramsey Library, University of North Carolina at Asheville
Important: Faculty carrels are offline for Fall 2020. They have been assigned for student use.
For more information contact Wendy Mullis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Faculty Carrel Policy
Ramsey Library has a limited number of enclosed carrels available for faculty use. Full-time members of the faculty who are actively engaged in research, writing, or curricular development projects requiring ready access to library resources are eligible to apply for a study carrel. Requests for carrels from other members of the UNC Asheville community may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Large, open carrels with lockable cabinets are also available for faculty use if an enclosed carrel is not available.
- Applications are submitted to the academic deans, who make recommendations for assignments to the University Librarian based on demonstrated need. Faculty members who are seeking to renew their carrel assignment must report their productivity from that assignment in their application for renewal.
- Carrels are assigned for an academic year and/or for the summer. Occupants may apply for renewal, but without priority over new applicants.
Carrels are assigned to support research activities and are not available for use as regular offices.
Guidelines for Use
Egregious or repeated violation of these guidelines will result in forfeiture of the carrel.
- Current periodicals taken to a carrel must be returned to the current periodicals area.
- Library materials left in locked carrels must be checked out to the carrel occupant.
- Occupants retain their keys. Duplicates are not available at the Circulation Desk. Keys must be returned after the end of the assignment. If keys are lost, a charge for rekeying will be imposed.
- While Ramsey Library will take all reasonable measures to protect the security of carrel contents, liability for personal items left in carrels rests with the owners.
Carrels are available for use only during regular library hours.